We work together to continually develop and implement sustainable solutions. Through Green Thread, our environmental sustainability platform, we bring innovative and efficient solutions to life. We are passionately focused on reducing the environmental impact within our operations.
Here are just a few ways we work to make our campus more environmentally conscious:
Did you know Dining Services sources food from many local farmers, growers and distributors? The list changes throughout the year depending on seasonality and availability. However, here is a sampling of a few of our partners:
- Our milk, cottage cheese, and frozen yogurt are all sourced from
Oak Farms Dairy in Dallas, TX
- Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit
and Collard Greens are from McAllen, TX
- Cabbage from Hondo, TX
In support of our commitment to animal welfare, we’re proud to serve shell eggs from cage-free hens in both of our dining halls:
Arnold Dining Commons and Lee at Umphrey Lee Center.
Reusable To-Go Container
Getting your meal to go from one of the residential restaurants? Take part in our Sustainable To-Go Container program, made from recycled material, our to-go boxes are eco-friendly.
- Ask the cashier for one of the reusable containers and allow him/her to swipe your SMU ID card to check out the container.
- Use the container for your to-go meal.
- Bring the container back and allow the cashier to swipe your SMU ID to check the container back in.
- You'll only be able to check out one container at a time, so be sure to bring your used one back for cleaning as soon as you can!